Sunday, November 10, 2013

Send to EndNote

This is wicked cool, as I can search and search through World of Knowledge, Engineering Village, ProQuest, and even Google, and each one gives me the option to export the citations directly to Endnotes.  The first three will allow me to export the complete search.  Then I can select all in Endnotes, Update all the References ((watch out it usually will change formats and add the publisher but it uses the DOI which can be wrong and you'll see a completely new article coming in to replace what you found = new authors, date and issue => SKIP this!)), and Download all the Text files.  I have found they are not always available. . . Another trick I did was for those "not found" I create a group of them in Endnotes, select all and <copy formatted> into Word.  You should have it set to APA, as you get that format, or which ever you choose.

Once in word I <save as> <htm>, then open it into a Firefox browser and select each title to search in Google Scholar.  Endnote seems to only connect to selected databases in the library while Google gets them all and a few others.  So often I can find all the PDFs faster this way!

Then Endnote 6x converts all the PDFs to "author-year-title" format, while 7x allows you to select the PDF file names

Web of Knowledge Help: Send to EndNote

This feature allow you to export selected records to your desktop version of EndNote. You can also use this feature to export records to Reference Manager.

Select the record(s) to include in the output.

Select the data to include in each record.

Select EndNote from the Send To menu to open a processing overlay dialog and to launch the export application.

If you have installed more than one reference program, then you will be prompted to select a program before you can select a reference library.
Open a reference library when the Select a Reference Library dialog box to export the records.

Note: To export selected records to third-party reference software see, Save to other Reference Software.

2 comments:

  1. another fast and easy feature! When I get the PDFs. . . I tile the downloads folder and EndNotes side by side. Then I open the reference in EndNotes, and select and drop the PDF into the reference field at the bottom- - and walla it's in Endnotes. Course then I delete the file off my downloads folder, as EndNote copies and creates a new folder for it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I started with over two hundred sources. 95 were downloaded PDF immediately by EndNotes, about 20 were book reviews or foreign languages. The 43 left I put into an HTM and each title to search with Google Scholar to find all but 10. These last ten I put into Pronto at the Library where they find the PDFs. Using Pronto is great - - - except when you abuse it and then they don't help you any more! This means I do ever search I can two or three times before bothering them. In fact, the time I made the HTM I was surprised to find another article on my list => some time Google will send you to the USF Library, while other times cut and paste the Journal in the Library E-journals to get it. I've noticed that usually there is something off, the wrong year, issue or page number, so visually checking can find it quick too. . .

    ReplyDelete